CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
About the East Africa Law Society
The East Africa Law Society is the umbrella Regional Bar Association of East Africa founded in 1995. It is a dual membership organization bringing together individual lawyer members as well as the six (6) National Bar Associations of: Burundi Bar Association, Law Society of Kenya, Kigali Bar Association, Tanganyika Law Society, Uganda Law Society and Zanzibar Law Society. It has a specific focus on the professional development of its members promoting cohesion among East African Lawyers as well as promotion of constitutionalism, democracy and good governance, the rule of law and the advancement, promotion and protection of human rights in East Africa.
The EALS is governed by its diverse regional membership through an annual general meeting. Policy and administrative supervision is undertaken by the elected governing Council. Some programmatic as well as membership activities are carried out through committees appointed by the Council. Implementation and co-ordination is carried out by the Secretariat, headed by the Chief Executive Officer, based in Arusha – Tanzania.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND REQUIREMENTS
Position: Chief Executive Officer
Report to: President /Governing Council
Role: Managing the EALS, providing leadership and responsible for guiding the implementation of the organizations mission and vision.
The responsibilities of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) shall include, but not be limited to:
- Being the lawful representative of the society in the exercise of its legal identity.
- Oversee the development of EALS Strategic Plan and ensure its successful implementation.
- Oversees the preparation of all external communication issued by the EALS
- Represent the organization with the media and at high level meetings of donors, government and likeminded stakeholders
- Keep the functioning of the society under constant review to ensure that the objectives of society are achieved.
- Develop and Review grant and funding proposals
- Build and sustain effective partnerships with government, like-minded organizations and other civil societies.
- Create an enabling environment for staff to ensure there is knowledge sharing, capacity building and team building in the workplace.
- Ensure the formulation of appropriate work plans and successful implementation of EALS programmes and activities.
- Submit appropriate reports to the council and to the general meeting.
- Provide effective and efficient management plus supervision of the EALS human, financial and information management resources.
- Provide quarterly reports to the governing council.
- Secretary to the council of the EALS and coordinates Council Board meeting and activities
- Carry out any other function as specified by the General Meeting or the council.
Qualification and Experience Required:
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in Law (LLB)
- At least 8 years post qualification experience, admitted as an Advocate in their practice jurisdiction with a valid practicing certificate
- Or 8 years in a similar position or a senior position in a recognized, well established institution/ organizations being public, private or international.
- Must be in good standing with the national law society.
- Postgraduate (Masters of laws) degree, or related field is an added advantage (optional)
- Possess excellent leadership, managerial and organizational skills, including the demonstrated ability to lead programmes
- Knowledge of EAC region priorities
- Project cycle management,
- Experience in law reform and policy development,
- Experience in enhancing Access to justice and Public Interest Litigation
- Strategy formulation,
- Resource mobilization and fundraising,
- Project monitoring and evaluation,
- Report writing,
- Training skills
- Must be a team player, highly self-motivated and self-driven.
How to apply:
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria should send their application (a cover letter with a detailed Curriculum Vitae) indicating expected salary, referee and their daytime contact, addressed to the President of the East Africa Law Society to be received by the 8th June, 2017 by 5.00 p.m. firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to email@example.com . Only successful candidates will be contacted.